The Exford Weir was named after the original name for the Werribee river, once known as the river Ex. The weir was constructed between 1913 and 1916. Visit Southern Rural Water for more information.

The reservoir behind the wall is known as Melton Reservoir, and is used to store water for the Bacchus Marsh and Werribee Irrigation Districts. Water in the reservoir collects from the Wombat and Lerderderg Forests, Parwan Creek, the Werribee and Lerderderg rivers, and the Pykes Creek and Merrimu reservoirs. The river is regulated by these structures, and water is delivered downstream to the irrigation district along the river channel. Natural flows which would normally allow life cycles of natural species to occur are greatly modified. Summer flows can be high due to irrigators needs and winter flows can be low due to the need to store water. This is the opposite of natural requirements and so environmental flows have been introduced over a period of years to assist the natural health of the river system.

Toolern Creek enters the Werribee just downstream of the Exford Weir. The river then heads south-east through volcanic gorge country. For more information visit the Pinkerton Landcare and Environment Group website.

Back to Top